Protect your Home from Mold and Mildew

Updated: May 15, 2018



Mold and mildew grow where moisture is present, so bathrooms are especially susceptible.

In addition to looking and smelling bad, mold can cause health problems as well as structural damage to your home. If mold and mildew are present in your home, they should be removed as soon as possible to prevent health issues.


You can prevent mold growth indoors by properly ventilating bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry areas along with controlling indoor humidity levels. Leaky roofs, pipes, and windows should be fixed immediately, and any area that is flooded must be cleaned and completely dried to prevent mold growth.


If mold has found a way into your home, you’ll need to clean it and find a solution for the moisture source to prevent further growth. There are cleaning products available for this purpose, or you may choose to use the following household solution: up to 1 cup of bleach per gallon of water (do not mix it with ammonia or other household cleaners). Also, make sure to open all of your doors and windows when you are cleaning mold for fresh air and be sure to wear gloves and protective eyewear.


Another solution is investing in mold and mildew resistant products such as solid surface showers, tubs, and vanities from The Onyx Collection through Chapman Custom Baths. Every product from The Onyx Collection comes with a Forever Guarantee promising a lifetime of beauty and durability. If you're tired of fighting mold or mildew in your tub or shower, schedule a consultation with Chapman Custom Baths today.